NEC Corporation of America (NEC) has been a sponsor of Herbert Marcus Elementary in Dallas, TX for the past three years. The involvement of NEC and the volunteer efforts of NEC employees, has made a tremendous difference at this school. Last year the school moved into a “Breakthrough Campus” category in the Dallas Independent School District and, according to the Principal Jonatan Romero, NEC played a big part in this transformation.
As one of our projects this year, NEC decided to “Stock the School” with supplies for each teacher. Unfortunately, many teachers have a financial burden of out-of-pocket costs to supply their students with basic supplies. NEC wanted to help ease that burden for the 50+ teachers at Herbert Marcus by providing each teacher with a care package of basic school supplies such as: folders, pens, hand sanitizer, dry erase boards, markers, etc.
- Provided essential classroom supply kits for 46 classes – impacting up to 800 kids in these classrooms
- Custom decorated 20+ clipboards to include in the classroom supply kits
- Painted chalkboards in 3 classrooms
- Assisted teachers move and set their classrooms
- Painted and refreshed the health clinic
- Painted and refreshed the Community Outreach room
- Painted and brightened up the main stairway
- Assisted 10 teachers with classroom décor and organization
- Painted colorful and fun ceiling tiles for the Art room
- Fresh coat of paint in a large multi-purpose classroom
- Hand wrote 46 Thank You notes to every teacher in the school to start their new year with motivation
- Purchase of a much needed projector and screen for the auditorium
- Purchase of new stage curtains for the auditorium
NEC’s global branding statement is, “Orchestrating a brighter world.” NEC volunteers decided we could brighten up the school by adding a fresh coat of paint to the nurse’s clinic, stairways, and a few classrooms. The students spend a large part of their day in the school and adding a new coat of paint assisted in revitalizing areas for a refreshed and positive learning environment. Our goal was to ensure students and teachers walk into the classroom confident, empowered and prepared!